Monday, January 17, 2011

A Movie Plus Volleyball

So for Family Home Evening tonight my ward went to the visitors center at the temple and watched the movie Only A Stone Cutter. I had never seen it before and was very impressed by it's message. It is the story of John Rowe Moyle. He was an immigrant from England and came across with one of the very first handcart companies. He was also one of the first people to settle what would become Alpine, Utah. After he arrived in Utah and settled in and started his farm he received a calling to work as a stone mason on the Salt Lake Temple. It was a 22 mile walk from his farm to Salt Lake a walk that he made week after week without fail. Even when he lost a leg due to an accident on his farm he fashioned a leg for himself and kept going to complete his calling. One of the things that stood out to me the most in this movie was that when his wife told him after he lost his leg that there were plenty of stone masons to fulfill the work on the lords house he looked at her and said, "But it is my calling to fulfill not anyone else's."
It's that example that I want to follow in my life. I want to be able to say, "It was my calling to fulfill and I am proud to say I fulfilled it." It has kind of put made me think about what I can do to fulfill any of my callings. Even in adversity I should be putting an effort in to fulfilling my calling completely.
After the movie we went to the Institute building the original plan was to have hot chocolate and socialize but another ward invited us to join them and so we had ice cream and pizza and played volleyball. I think I probably played for ten minutes before I decided that I liked watching more. And not to mention I felt like I was going to fall on my face every couple minutes. It was fun to watch other members of my ward play. They had a pretty good game going that was fun to watch.
I also got to see one of my really good friends at the visitors center that I haven't seen for awhile. It was good to see her and to be able to talk and hang out with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment